Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hippo Epilogue

There is an epilogue to the tale of the Hippo's standing beside the path on Monday evening. This morning I decided to walk into town (26/06/07). Who do you think I should meet in exactly the same spot but the hippo's again. Today it didn't cross my mind to retrace my steps to the small makorro and cross to the Sedia bank, walk up to Big Tree and get a combie into town. I just decided it was time to explore a bush path arouind the hippos.
Sorry folks, I've just realised that I have been putting an apostrophe on hippo when writing about hippopotami. That must have been so annoying for you. Shaln't do it again.
So, I slowly veered left onto the soft sand and into the thorny protection of the bush. Taking one very carful twig avoiding pace at a time I proceeded towards but awat from the hippos. As I drew level with them voices on the opposite bank began to bid me HELLO & GOOD MORNING at the tops of their lungs. It was the soldiers from the Barracks on the opposite bank at the end of their pier shouting encouragement (wether to me or the hippos I'm not sure, I reckon watching someone getting chased through the thorny bush by a playful and curious hippo would be a nice diversion fro barrack-room monotony).
The fact that I am writing from Riley's and not Maun General Hospital wildlife maimings ward this is eveidence that the hippos had had a heavy breakfast and were in no mood for play as I gently made my way past them.

No comments: